Thursday, August 13, 2009

Darren Evans Lost for the Season

I just had to weigh in on the fact that the Hokies have lost Darren Evans for the season. He tore his ACL in practice, which is always a stomach punch no matter which player, but the fact that it was Evans is making most Hokie fans even more concerned. I am going to come out and say that I'm not "terribly" concerned. I do believe we will miss Evans for his leadership, his short yardage ability, and his blocking. He is much better in all three of those categories than Ryan Williams, David Wilson, or just about any other back (you have to give Kenny Lewis Jr the edge in leadership), but I think that the carries that Evans loses to Ryan Williams might actually be in the favor of Virginia Tech. Williams is just more explosive and dynamic than Evans is. The runs from last season where the O-line created a gaping hole for Evans to run through, but where he was also caught from behind after 15 yards will be touchdowns in the hands of Williams. Yet, with all that said, I do think the Hokies would have been better off with the option of Evans in addition to Williams. And granted, you will probably see more of other running backs like Lewis (untalented), Oglesby (inconsistent), and possibly David Wilson (inexperienced).

I still think this Virginia Tech squad is just as capable of going the distance as they were before, but it may also prove fortunate that this situation will add a chip on the shoulder of the VT players to show that they are still in the hunt for the National Championship even without Darren Evans. I'd be all about that.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pumped to see what Ryan Williams can do... just about all of the seniors who have given interviews to Beamerball.com have talked about him being the player they are most excited about this season. Or to say it better, I don't think any senior who was interviewed and asked that question had a response that wasn't "Ryan Williams." Now please, God, let him stay healthy.

GO TECH

1 comment:

aaron said...

sidenote: kenny lewis is also out for the season having had another surgery on his achilles.