Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Thoughts On LeBron Returning to the Cleve

LeBron James is bringing his talents to Cleveland tonight, much to the masochistic joy of Cavalier fans. Their joy is also my joy. I can't wait to see that egotistical maniac squirm as the people who used to love him throw down insults and group chants in his general direction. I really enjoyed this article by Jason Whitlock of Fox Sports about the return of LeBron. My favorite quote:

Spoelstra has committed the felonious crime of yelling at LeBron in front of his teammates. Spoelstra won’t let LeBron be LeBron the way a parent won’t let a child be an unbathed child day after day.

I absolutely love that quote because it's so true. Even LeBron's coach is not allowed to tell him what to do, and his public relations team (that's kind of a joke because it's just his friends from high school) leaked the story because they somehow thought that the public would be sympathetic to James. LBJ is so sheltered and protected by his group of yes-man friends that he's convinced that most everyone loves him, and that he's incapable of doing wrong. When in fact, most everyone thinks he did a crummy thing during his "Decision" and handled it poorly afterwards by never apologizing to Cleveland fans.

He really hurt the Cavs franchise and fans. I'm not talking about sappy, "We loved you, but apparently you didn't love us" BS. I'm talking about how he never informed the franchise that he was going to be leaving, so they could never move on any of the big free agents. I'm talking about how he failed to live up to an actual promise that he made to the city to bring them their first NBA championship and that he would be there until he did it. Let's face it, the Cavs are a mediocre team at best without him. Before this season began, I wanted to believe that one player couldn't make that much of a difference, but if the team believes it, then in actuality it's going to be true... and I sincerely believe this team thinks they can't compete without James.

Tonight will be the culmination of a lot of feelings for some hardcore Cavaliers fans. I am hoping they don't do anything stupid. In fact, I'll be praying for it. I just want some furious scorn and some catchy chants... and I don't think that's too much to ask for the one intriguing game during this entire NBA season for the city of Cleveland.

Who's up for a rousing "Delonte Did Your Mom" chant?

No comments: