Friday, January 23, 2009

Another Tech Tragedy

I don't think it would be right of me to have a Virginia Tech blog and not talk about the vicious attack that happened at a cafe on Tech's campus two nights ago. On Wednesday night around 7pm, a new graduate student named Xin Yang was allegedly killed AND DECAPITATED by Haiyang Zhu. You can read the story here. I am honestly floored by this occurrence, and I can't believe it's possible for someone to sit in a somewhat crowded cafe and take someone else's head off with a kitchen knife without one of the onlookers interrupting this sick action. What is happening at Virginia Tech? The community there went years without a murder, but there have been 3 separate incidents in the last 3 years, one of which, the Virginia Tech Tragedy, received national and even international news coverage. One thing is for certain... the students will stand their ground and band together as a community. These random acts of violence will only make the university, its students, and its alums stronger in their resolve. We will not be terrorized. This latest news from Virginia Tech turns my stomach, and I hope that the rest of the VT community will mourn the loss of Xin Yang and will pray for her family. I'm seriously pissed off about this.

No comments: