Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Beer at Work

Every once in a while (like once every few months), co-workers in my office will roll around with a beer cart, serving the other employees in the company a frosty barley pop (or a soda or a girly drink that claims to be alcoholic). It's one of the fun perks that sets working for my company apart from a lot of other stiff/uptight companies. It's my second favorite perk when it comes to working here... the first would be the fact that I can roll up in sandals, t-shirt, and shorts during the summer when you start stewing in your own juices immediately after stepping outside. It's days like that where I think, "Man, I can't imagine having to come in wearing a suit, long-sleeve shirt, and tie." The summer in Richmond is not kind to my sweat glands.

Tonight's matchup against Rhode Island is a little scary, but this team is probably a better match for us than UConn. URI likes to press. A lot. In fact, don't be surprised if they try to press us full-court for the entire game. The good news though? VT has been very successful against teams that press this season. Their players are long and athletic, but not ridiculously skilled. Don't be surprised if they struggle to shoot in front of a rabid Hokie crowd and a tenacious Hokie defense. I am basically thinking of them as Clemson-lite, which is fitting when you think of them in terms of their mascots. In the wrong setting, a tiger can make you soil yourself. In the wrong setting, a ram can make you somewhat cautious. If the Hokies aren't at least a little cautious, they will end up losing the game. If the Hokies take URI seriously, I can't imagine them losing this game.

No comments: