Monday, December 22, 2008

Strep Tease

I decided to work from home today. At about 11:00, my neighbor comes over and starts knocking on my door with the force of a jackhammer. I open the door to see the small chinese woman who lives next door (I'm not being racist here, she really is chinese as opposed to any other asian nation). She doesn't speak English very well, but she manages to relay some information to me. Apparently she has some documents that are vital to her existence and she needs to fax them to somebody. I inform her that I do not own a fax machine, but that does not persuade her from continuing to tell me about how she needs to find a fax machine. I tell her that I don't know anybody in the neighborhood with a fax machine, but she is adamant that I am going to help her, so finally I offer to drive her to FedEx Kinko's so she can fax that stuff. On the drive there, I try to make small talk, but I am thwarted by her inability to understand me. I sit in the parking lot for 30 minutes as she faxes some things. I rock out to my XM radio, as I am prone to do. Finally this lady comes back out and we have an equally awkward trip back to the neighborhood as she purposefully avoids small talk. We both say goodbye as we arrive back at the townhomes. 10 minutes later my doorbell rings again, and I see her standing at the door through the peephole. Crap. I don't feel like helping her anymore, but I try to be a good neighbor so I open the door. As it turns out, she wanted to give me a present for helping her. I open it up to find some nice Italian chocolates. Score one for the home team. I am sure there is a moral here, but I don't really feel like figuring it out. Why am I feeling so lazy? Because I just went to Patient First and found out I have strep throat. Hooray! It's been a stupid and mind-baffling kind of day.

No comments: